Saturday, June 14, 2008

What Difference a Year Makes

Last year at this time I was fitting with the Deer ticks. This year I have treated my self with a new pack. This one is very close in size to my old external frame pack, but the new on is MUCH lighter. It's a High Sierra Explorer 55, I really like the features and functions of this pack. The only downside is that if the pack is not completely full, the top doesn't seem to fit exactly right. I'm going to have to experiment a bit.


Its funny, I packed the new pack with everything that I normally carry and the total pack weight has decreased to 32 lbs. rather then the 48 lbs with the old pack.

I have determined that with an internal frame pack, you need to pack as much as you can in compression sacks to minimise the space taken by the equipment.


I figure with compression sacks, I may be able to get both the bag and the small tent in the lower compartment. That will leave more space in the main compartment for the rest of the gear.

I also determined that I can get my old ThermoRest into a small stuff sack if a fold it in half that's going to save even more space in the main compartment.

This new pack is SO much more comfortable than the old external frame. Can't wait to use it on the next trip. That should be late July or mid August. We'll see.

1 comment:

TJ said...

I am glad that you didn't have to deal with ticks again. "They" are forecasting a bad year for ticks and Lyme disease this year.
The new pack looks good. Now you have an excuse to "travel" more.