Sunday, August 17, 2008

Latest Nordhouse Trip

What a great week in the back country. I really love this place and will continue to visit as often as I can.


Sunday 08/10/2008
The trip didn't start as nice as I would have liked. When I arrived in the parting lot, there wasn't as stop to be had. Took a side trip up Green Road to check it out and maybe find some parking there. Green road is the extreme eastern side of the area without any good parking spots that would put me close enough to trails.


Ended up parting at another trail head .1 miles from the parting lot. The real problem was that 100 yards down the trail I ran into Nordhouse Lake and had to bushwack my way back to the trail. Finally got out to the spot where I was going to set camp to find someone camped there. I moved up a bit as set camp, took a nap since I was up at 2:00 AM for the drive up. After the nap, the other camp was vacant, so I moved down as reset camp.


Once camp was set, I ventured out to the lake to get water. The lake was rather rough , so getting water meant that I was going to get wet. The lake has not warmed up much this year. I would guess it to still be in the high 50's maybe 60 degrees.







Sunset on Sunday was one of the best I've seen in a long time. I took a bunch of pictures, but this is one of the best. I always seem to take way too many pictures of the sunset. Living on the east side of the state, we don't get to see them that often so I take advantage.




Monday 8/11/2008


I figured that I would walk back out to the car and move it to the lot where it was suppose to be anyway. I didn't want to add the additional .1 miles to the trip out on Thursday. When I got to the lot with the car, I stopped to talk with the Forest Ranger. He was saying that with the big storm in June a couple of trails were going to be closed because of the trees down from the tornado that came through. He also said that the water was running through Lake Michigan Recreation Area at the height of the picnic tables. I figured I would walk one of those trail tomorrow to see the damage for myself.



The sunset tonight was another good one. The pictures really do not do it justest. We always try but seeing it in real life to always better.







Tuesday 8/12/2008


I did it again. I told myself that I was not going to walk the entire loop from my camp to the North end and back by Nordhouse Lake. But I did today. And yes, I will not do it again. I'll do a out an back rather than the entire loop. I did find the storm damaged trails and I think the Ranger was right. I can't see them trying to open a couple up, but the other two are still passable.




Wednesday 8/12/2008


After the long trip yesterday, I spent the day around camp to rest up for the trip out tomorrow. This poor Monarch butterfly. It had a broken wing and spent most of the afternoon making it's way across the camp. I lost sight of it after about 3 hours.







It's been a long time since I have seen the lake as calm as it was this week. It was still a bit higher than when I was here in May of this year. I guess it's still left over from the big storm in June.








Next planned trip is October of this year. This will be the last for the year. We will start over again next year.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Glad you posted about your trip. i kept checking for an update, but i know that you have been busy with the patio. You got some great shots. I love this side of the state.

EastMI-WoodChips said...

So do I.... Maybe someday we can get back over there.